Sometimes the best and easiest way to remove a skunk or exclude it from your property is to hire a company to do it for you. Wildlife removal companies are not well monitored or licensed, so it is up to you to ask questions about a company’s practices before hiring them.
A good wildlife removal company should
- Provide a customized plan of action and a firm price estimate before you are required to commit
- Focus on long-term solutions, such as fixing potential entry points (as opposed to simply removing skunks)
- Guarantee their work (for at least one year)
- Know about skunk behaviour, such as when babies are born and where skunks are likely to gain entry to a building.
- Use only humane live traps (cage traps) or one-way doors to remove animals (rather than leg-hold traps or other harmful capture devices)
- Physically check the space for babies, no matter the time of year
- Release any live-trapped animals on-site. Never hire a company that moves skunks to a new location as this is illegal and harmful to the animals. Instead, they should remove skunks from the den space and seal the hole to prevent return.
Insert Subheading: Our recommended wildlife removal company
Toronto Wildlife Centre recommends AAA Gates Wildlife Control